1964 Baron: 3-YEAR RESTORATION PROJECT
I found this boat in Alton Bay NH during the summer of 2012, even though she was a basket case, I fell in love with her lines and old school styling.
On October 14, 2012 after stopping and looking at it many times I ended up purchasing the boat, and so the journey began.
Anxious to get the restoration underway, I made arrangements with Pat at White Mountain Fiberglass (WMF) in Rumney, NH to work the hull portion of the project.
During the summer of 2013 I brought the boat to Pat at WMF. It sat there under cover until the spring of 2014, meanwhile the Ford FE 428 engine began to take shape.
Early-Summer of 2014, I spent 2 days at WMF stripping the hull of all mechanicals and left Pat and his team a completely bare hull, ready for media blasting.
Mid-Summer 2014, the hull was blasted and cleaned of the many layers of paint that had accumulated over the years by previous owners. Once the blasting was complete it revealed the boat’s original orange and white color scheme. I loved the thought of making it as close to its original look as possible. Pat and his team started the process of getting it ready for paint, as I continued to polish, paint, powder-coat, fabricate or replace every piece of hardware on the boat.
Late-Summer 2014, the Ford FE 428 engine was started for the first time on a custom built cradle. The hull was now
covered in primer.
Early-Fall 2014 we ran into a slight snag, the starboard stringer was found to be dry-rotted and in no way was it going to hold the powerful Ford engine. WMF ended up replacing both stringers.
During the winter of 2014/2015, my home office was getting pretty full with boxes of parts and lots of stainless steel fasteners that were ready to be installed. I was just waiting for the hull to be completed so I could start reassembly.
Early-Spring 2015, the hull was painted to match her original colors and pattern. The boat was placed on 5 boat stands in the warehouse at WMF, where I began reassembly.
By early-Summer 2015, nearly all of the hardware was installed. It was then that life took a turn and I lost my mom, Sally A. Obed. She was a huge fan of the project and often said she couldn’t wait for a ride in a “real fast boat”. I knew I had to finish the project and be ready for the Vintage Race Boat Regatta in Wolfeboro, NH scheduled for September 18th & 19th 2015.
Saturday July 18th, 2015 the engine was installed. With the help of a lifelong friend Mike and the guidance of a new friend Donnie, we spent the whole day working on the engine installation. By 4:30 the engine was completely fitted. It was time to celebrate and we cracked open a beer.
Saturday August 22rd, 2015 the boat came home from Rumney for the first time since the summer of 2013 where I finished up a few odds and ends to make her water ready for the sea trial.
Sunday August 23th, 2015, surrounded by family and friends the boat was finally launched on Manning Lake in Gilmanton, NH for her first run in over 25 years.